Home              GitHub Twitter StackOverflow Slack Mail


A Career-Centric Open Source Model

The mm-ADT Open Source Model is currently under development. When a stable working process is realized, this disclaimer will be removed and the contents of this page will form v1.0 of the mm-ADT governance structure. Early on, in order to help surface the inevitable complications associated with a revenue-based open source model, selected developers in the community will be invited to submit a public facing mm-ADT project.

Last Updated: October 29, 2019

mm-ADT mm-ADT™ is composed of professional developers collaborating on and across any number of self-governed, open source projects. Project members define, develop, support, and market their projects’ products. Revenue is generated from product licensing. 25% of a product’s revenue is evenly distributed amongst the project members. The remaining 75% is equally distributed amongst all mm-ADT partners.


mm-ADT products are produced and consumed by people and companies. The specific roles these actors play are identified below and will be referred to throughout the remainder of this document.

User: A consumer of mm-ADT technology.
  Contributor: A user offering mm-ADT features, patches, and support.
  Customer: A user with an mm-ADT commercial license.
Partner: A producer of an approved mm-ADT project.
  Member: A partner in the context of a particular project.

Each mm-ADT project’s GitHub repository must be connected with CLAHub. All contributors and partners are required to sign the project’s ICLA (or CCLA) before committing source code.

ICLA: Individual Contributor License Agreement (example ICLA for mm-ADT VM).
CCLA: Corporate Contributor License Agreement.


The mm-ADT virtual machine (mm-ADT VM) is the founding project that is responsible for defining the protocols and tooling by which all other mm-ADT projects integrate.

  • Every project has an mm-ADT GitHub repository.
    • All repositories are hosted in the mm-ADT GitHub organization (example repository for mm-ADT VM).
  • Every project has a namespace structured as xyz.mm-adt.org.
  • Every project has a homepage with documentation.

  • Every mm-ADT project has a public and a private mailing list.
    • Public mailing lists are how creators discuss development.
    • Private mailing lists are how creators discuss internal politics.
    • The mm-ADT VM private mailing list is the internal communication forum for all mm-ADT partners.
  • Every mm-ADT project supports its users via mm-ADT StackOverflow.

  • Every mm-ADT project has a Slack channel in mm-ADT Slack.

Project Creation

Any user can propose a project to the mm-ADT VM public mailing list via a[DISCUSS] posting. The act of proposing a project makes the user a contributor. After a thorough discussion of the proposal, the contributor can request that their proposal go to [VOTE]. The project is voted on the mm-ADT VM private mailing list. Votes are expressed using -1, 0, or +1 with the voting window lasting 1 week. The votes are tallied and the result is either positive (approved), neutral (delayed), or negative (denied).

If the final [VOTE] is positive, then a private repository is created for the project. The project is maintained in a public repository (labeled incubating) until its debut release. A project’s first two product releases require a positive [VOTE] from the project members on their project’s private mailing list and then a positive [VOTE] from all mm-ADT partners (via the mm-ADT VM private mailing list). All subsequent releases only require a positive [VOTE] from the project members.

A contributor becomes an mm-ADT partner when their project receives revenue.


The project members must provide the following items before a release.

Product Distribution Package

Maven3-based projects should use Apache Rat to verify copyright notices (see example pom.xml).

Product List Price

  • Partners are responsible for setting product pricing.
  • The license cost is finalized with a [VOTE] amongst the project members.
  • A commercial license is valid for 3 months.
Component Licensing Cost
Language Compilers $X * #nodes
Processing Engines $Y * #nodes
Storage Systems $Z * #nodes

Product Revenue Distribution

  • Revenue is distributed within 45 days of receipt of customer invoice payment.
  • 25% of a product’s revenue is distributed equally amongst the project members.
    • The project members at the time of receipt of payment receive distributions.
  • 75% of a product’s revenue is distributed equally amongst all mm-ADT partners.
    • The partners at the time of receipt of payment receive distributions.
  • Partners are paid via PayPal.
    • Developers in the United States must have a 1099-MISC in place with RReduX,Inc.